Questions about selling

You should always consult a financial adviser to establish what you can afford to borrow and what it will cost you, before you start to look for your new home. This is information we will require when we put forward an offer on your behalf to a seller.

Similarly, you should obtain quotes for the conveyancing work in making a purchase.

We can help you to find a good local Mortgage Adviser and Solicitor

The majoriy of home movers will require the equity from their existing home in order to purchase a new one. In this instance the best advice is to secure a buyer on your own property first. At that point, you become a much more desirable option to a seller.

Many sales and purchasers are tied in to ‘complete’ on the same day.

Of course first time buyers, genuine cash buyers and those not needing to sell a property are a much more attractive proposition to a seller, subject of course to confirmation of their funding.

And of course, there are always those occasions when your dream home catches you eye unexpectedly, and you do everything in reverse!

We, as agents, will make an appointment for you at a mutually convenient time. We will generally accompany you to the property.

You are not obliged to get a survey done on the property you are buying. However, a survey can help you avoid expensive and unwanted surprises, like an unexpected rewiring job, as well as giving you peace of mind by telling you that those hairline cracks, for example, don’t mean the house is falling down!

It is important to understand the condition of the house that you are considering buying.

There are several types of property survey, ranging from a Valuation report (required by a lender) to a full structural survey.

Property or lease premium or transfer valueSDLT rate
Up to £250,000Zero
The next £675,000 (the portion from £250,001 to £925,000)5%
The next £575,000 (the portion from £925,001 to £1.5 million)10%
The remaining amount (the portion above £1.5 million)12%

Lots of factors affect the timescale – the length/complexity of your chain, local authority search timescales, mortgage providers and of course the quality of your solicitor.

Questions about renting

This advice applies to England

As tenant, you’re responsible for:

  • paying your rent, council tax and utility bills including TV licence and internet, and any other outgoings that may be agreed in the tenancy agreement, for example, a gardener.
  • looking after your home by using it in a ‘tenant like’ way
  • telling your landlord or landlord’s agent about any repairs that are needed
  • providing access to have any repair work done
  • having a duty of care to your visitors

The law implies a condition into every tenancy agreement that the tenant must use their home in a ‘tenant-like’ way. This applies whether you have a written or an oral tenancy agreement.

Using your home in a tenant-like way generally means:

  • doing minor repairs yourself, such as changing fuses, smoke alarm batteries and light bulbs
  • keeping your home clean
  • not causing any damage to the property and making sure your visitors don’t cause any damage
  • using any fixtures and fittings properly, for example, not blocking a toilet by flushing something unsuitable down it

Your tenancy agreement may also set out some express terms on what your responsibilities are for repairs, for example, that you are responsible for decorating your home.

Your landlord cannot include a term in your agreement that would pass on any of their repair responsibilities to you, for example, that you are responsible for repairs to the roof. This type of term would not have any force in law 

A landlord is responsible for:

  • repairs to the structure and exterior of the property
  • heating and hot water systems, basins, sinks, baths and other sanitaryware
  • the safety of gas and electrical appliances
  • the fire safety of any furniture and furnishings provided under the tenancy.
  • ensuring that the property is fit for habitation
  • repairing and keeping in working order the room and water heating equipment
  • the common areas in multi-occupancy dwellings

You’ll be required to provide the equivalent of 5 weeks’ rent in order to secure your property. This must be paid upfront before you move into the property and your landlord or landlords agent is required to register the deposit with a government-approved tenancy deposit scheme (TDP). This means that when you move out of the property, as long as all the terms of your agreement are met and there is no damage or outstanding bills that need to be paid, your full deposit will be paid back to you. However, if there are damages to the property or overdue rent or bills, this will be taken out of your deposit as payment.  

If you are in a fully managed property, you will talk directly to us. If your landlord manages the property you will report to them. All the contact information will be given to you at the start of your tenancy.

Firstly ensure that you and other occupiers are safe. In the event of fire, burglary or serious injury, call the emergency services on 999.

Please familiarise yourself with emergency exits from your property, and the location of the water stop valve. In the event of a burst pipe, please try to turn off the water.

Condensation treatment can be as simple as opening windows throughout the day, turning on extractor fans whilst cooking and showering, and drying clothes outside rather than inside. Minor condensation and black mould problems can be solved with simple lifestyle changes. Activities such as showering, cooking, drying clothes indoors, using the tumble dryer and even breathing release moisture into the air. Obviously these activities are essential, but fortunately their impact on your property can be minimised by increasing ventilation, using extractor fans and avoiding putting wet clothes on radiators.

Click below for a comprehensive guide

You cannot bring a pet into a property without written permission from your landlord.

Please check before committing yourself to a pet.

Any change to the permanent occupancy of a property must be agreed with your landlord.

You are not permitted to rent out a room under the terms of your agreement. Any person over 18 years of age living at the property must be named in the tenancy agreement.

A final inspection will be carried out by either the landlord or us as managing agent.

This checkout will record the condition of the property and make a comparison to the condition recorded when you moved in.  Make sure you leave the house clean and tidy, take meter readings for final accounts and return all of the property keys.

If there is anything you are worried about then talk to us or your landlord for guidance. 

Yes. You will need written permission with agreed colours, from the landlord or via us as agents.

Being a landlord is possibly a lot more complicated than you think. For example in 2022 our team dealt with 31 legislative changes alone. Avoiding costly mistakes by taking professional, informed advice is by far the best way to make your landlord experience positive and profitable. 

Yes you can sell the property to another landlord during the term of the tenancy, but you cannot sell to an owner occupier as you would be unable to offer vacant possession. In order to sell with vacant possession, you will need to give your tenant the requisite notice, according to the terms of your rental contract.

Compare listings


Request A Valuation

× Whatsapp Us